365 Days of Grief & Healing

Send Flowers


We won't share your email

History

Livingston-Sondermann Funeral Home was founded in 1891 as Sondermann & Co. Undertaking and Furniture. Joseph Sondermann purchased a furniture and undertaking business from Herman Bohne and G.F. Ryan in the First National Bank Building located at 116 West Third Street.

 

The firm moved to 112 East Third Street in 1900. In 1921, the Sondermanns merged with Bucheit-O'Laughlin, located at 318-320 West Third Street. Furniture was sold from the West Third Street location, and the funeral business was run from 406 West Koenig Street.



This photograph of our 406 West Koenig Street location was taken in 1937. The building was built as the home of Julius and Anna Guendel. Mr. Guendel was a Grand Island wholesale liquor dealer. The funeral home was first operated in this location as O'Laughlin-Livingston, and later as Livingston-Sondermann. This location is presently the home of the Milne Detox Center, an alcohol treatment center.




Taken in 1956, this photograph is the new location at 505 West Koenig Street. The contractor for the construction project was Geer-Melkus Construction of Grand Island.



This photograph shows the building following a major renovation in 1968. The facility nearly doubled the size of the original building.

 

Livingston-Sondermann Funeral Home operated at this location until December 1996, when it was sold to Ryder-Rosacker-McCue & Huston Insurance. The new facility is located at 601 North Webb Road.